Friday, December 15, 2006

tonight's dinner: cheese ra-bokki

I felt lazy today so after a short work out at the gym (my ankle started bothering me as I forgot to take my meds this morning) so I went to the local Kimbap-Cheon-Guk. Such restaurants are everywhere and serve quick and cheap, simple meals. That is where I had the dwenjang chigae that I posted about previously.
Anyway...
Cheese ra-bokki is ddeok-bokki and ramyun (ramen noodles) with a slice of processed cheese on top. Ddeok is a thick rice cake noodle type thingy. Ddeok-bokki is generally quite spicy as it is made with gochujang (red pepper paste), and sometimes red pepper powder as well. It is generally made with the ddeok, cabbage, carrots, onions and odaeng (processed fish... which I find disgusting). If you get it in a restaurant (rather than at a pojangmacha/street vendor) there will also be half a boiled egg on top. I get it without the odaeng (when I remember to mention it). You can get ddeok-bokki anywhere here. No matter where you are in the city, it is fairly easy to find a street vendor making it.
YUMMY!!!!
The side dishes: a standard soup that is given when you order any non-soup item, sweet radish pickles (I don't particularly like them), ggakdugi (radish kimchi)

No comments: