Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Pepero Day!!! :)

For those that don't know, November 11th is Remembrance Day in Canada. Here in Korea, it's a very different type of day. It's Pepero Day. They figure 11/11 looks like Pepero sticks, hence the day. It is basically just a way for Lotte company to make more money (along with all of the other brands with similar snacks). Pepero is basically bread sticks dipped in chocolate. There are several other varieties of Pepero: [1983-chocolate Pepero; 1984-almond Pepero; 1994-strawberry Pepero, flake Pepero; 1995-cheese Pepero, coffee Pepero; 1996-peanut Pepero, hazelnut Pepero, bulgogi Pepero [really??? sounds gross... bulgogi is meat!!]; 1997-peanut butter Pepero; 2000-nude Pepero [basically inside out with the chocolate on the inside]; 2005-black Pepero; 2006-Cocoa Pepero; 2007-nude Pepero, lemon cheese Pepero]
And of course anything here in Korea wouldn't be complete without characters, e-cards, a song and animation.
I posted about Pepero a couple of years ago, so if you are interested in finding out more, check out that post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,

I found your blog while I was looking for a picture of deok bok ki to show to my friend.

I think it's really cool that you're enjoying yourself in Korea. I'm a Korean Canadian, and I was pretty uncomfortable during my visit to Seoul. I hope that you continue to have positive experiences in my home country.