Wednesday, June 25, 2008

changes

Sigh.
The school is switching the teachers for the afterschool classes. At first I was to swap classes with another teacher - same level, but slightly lower (grade 1 advanced English). I wasn't happy about that as I LOVE my class. My kids are fantastic. Of course the fact that there are only 3 of them helps, but even when there were 8 of them, they were great. The class dynamic was perfect. Even the supervisor sometimes sat in my room doing her work because she loved listening to us talking. We would get things done so quickly and efficiently that we almost always had time to do other things such as learn songs, card games, memory games, talking games, etc. We'd often work on pronunciation, making even that a bit of a game. The kids love my class. :) They are VERY unhappy about having a new teacher. A lot of parents aren't happy, either. The other day my kids were saying the'd write a hundred letters to try to keep me as their teacher. :) They are so sweet!!!
Then they changed it again. Instead of my swapping classes, they're giving me an all new class. They all of a sudden have a whole bunch of 5 and 6 year olds signing up for after school classes and needed to move one of the teachers to teach them. Since my class was so small, they just combined them and the other class (which the parents are REALLY NOT impressed with). The school decided I'd be a much better teacher for the little ones (compared to the other teacher of my class' level) so that's that.
In some ways it's good for me. It means I finish teaching at 2:30 on Fridays rather than 4:30, and I don't have summer intensives to teach (working to 6 instead of 4:30) as they are only for the grade 1 classes. But now Mondays and Wednesdays I have a class of eight 5 year olds (Korean age 5, so normal age 3 going on 4) and Tuesdays and Thursdays I have a class of eleven 6 year olds (actual age 4 going on 5). A lot of work. I won't have all of the tests and writing assignments to mark, but I will have to make the lesson plans and write report cards every month rather than every 2 months. I guess it is a toss up. But I'd rather just keep my class. :( I'm going to miss them. They're going to miss me. :( Oh well.

No comments: